Job Opening for 215 People’s Alliance Field Organizer.
215 People’s Alliance
215 People’s Alliance is a multiracial organization dedicated to fighting for equity and justice in Philadelphia at the ballot box, and in the streets. Since hiring staff in the Fall of 2016, 215 People’s Alliance has been active in multiple campaigns, including the Our City Our Schools campaign to regain local control of the schools, the Dump Wells campaign which moved $2 Billion in city money out of Wells Fargo and the May District Attorney’s primary election to elect Larry Krasner. 215 People’s Alliance has also been working with members to organize local organizing committees that lead on neighborhood campaigns. 215 People’s Alliance is a membership-based organization, and members pay monthly dues to the organization.
The Field Organizer works with the Campaign Director to lead and execute strategies to engage everyday people in grassroots organizing, direct advocacy, and campaigns for political change and to build up the membership of 215 People’s Alliance. The Field Organizer is responsible for cultivating and supporting the work of neighborhood organizing committees. In particular, there is a campaign around public housing being developed and led by a neighborhood organizing committee — the field organizer would be responsible for working with neighborhood leaders to support this campaign while building membership for 215 People’s Alliance.
This work includes organizing and holding meetings with volunteers, working with community organizations who have endorsed or could endorse the campaign, turning people out for press conferences, demonstrations, and committee meetings that could complement ongoing campaigns and expand and strengthen ties among the membership of 215 PA.
- Outreach to new members through variety of means including but not limited to petition gathering, attendance at community events, canvassing and doorknocking
- Follow up with potential members to develop relationships and clearly and compellingly explain the mission and vision of 215 People’s Alliance
- Organizing and turning out members for 215PA and Coalition meetings, events, and actions
- Developing leadership of members through public speaking training, political education, and organizing trainings
- Using a variety of communications platform to reach members including but not limited to Action Network, Relay mass texting, old fashioned phone calls, and Facebook
- Keeping track of data using Broadstripes database
- Writing email blasts and press releases to communicate information about campaigns
- Doing background research for campaigns
- Canvassing and running canvasses for progressive political candidates
Skills and Experience:
- 1-2 years of experience organizing with community or labor organizations or proven ability to move people to action
- Passion for social justice work and belief in community organizing
- Commitment to 215 PA’s vision of uniting labor and community for working class power
- Ability to talk to people from different backgrounds and think strategically about how to bring people in to build the work
- Patience with people, ability to problem solve and love for working with teams of staff and volunteers
- Writing and communication skills
- Time Management skills
- Experience with database management and online tools
- Public speaking
- Ability to take initiative on new projects and relationships
Salary: $35,000-$45,000 based on experience
To apply: Email resume and cover letter to info@215PA.com