215 People’s Alliance is a volunteer-led multiracial organization dedicated to fighting for equity and justice in Philadelphia at the ballot box, and in the streets. After a few short years 215 People’s Alliance has helped win a number of crucial campaigns in the Philadelphia area. We anchored the Our City Our Schools campaign to regain local control of Philadelphia public schools; the Dump Wells campaign, which moved $2 Billion in city money out of Wells Fargo; and an independent field effort for the 2017 District Attorney’s primary election to elect Larry Krasner.
The Organizing Director works with the volunteer Executive Committee to lead and execute strategies to engage everyday people in grassroots organizing, direct advocacy, and campaigns for electoral change. The Organizing Director is responsible for leading 215 People’s Alliance organizing staff through training, planning, direction setting, and supervision. The Organizing Director represents 215 People’s Alliance in local and national coalitions and will attend convenings and events to share about 215 People’s Alliance’s work.
We’re looking for a strategic thinker, a team player and strong manager. 215PA is a collaborative, supportive, high-paced work environment. We are committed to developing leadership and skills of staff and members through ongoing collective learning and reflection.
- Ensure the implementation of organizational priorities for campaigns and neighborhood base building efforts
- Supervise staff through leading regular staff meetings and planning processes in their areas of work
- Coach and train organizing staff and leaders in developing relationships with potential members and communicating the mission and vision of 215 People’s Alliance
- Represent 215 People’s Alliance in coalition and partner meetings and convenings
- Participate in outreach to new members through a variety of means including but not limited to petition gathering, attendance at community events, canvassing and door knocking
- Develop leadership of members through public speaking and organizing trainings
- Organize and turn out members for 215PA and coalition meetings, events, and actions
- Use a variety of communications platform to reach members including but not limited to Action Network, Relay mass texting, old fashioned phone calls, and Facebook
- Keeping track of data using Broadstripes database
- Conduct background research for campaigns and write email blasts and press releases to communicate information in relevant campaign stages
- Participate in political education processes with 215PA leadership and planning processes to deliver political education to broader membership
- Participate and at times lead fundraising efforts to sustain 215 People’s Alliance work and resource new organizing initiatives
- Lead canvassing for progressive political candidates
Skills and Experience:
- 5+ years of experience organizing with community or labor organizations and a proven ability to move people to action
- Exceptional leadership skills, and the ability to build the capacities of others and build organization with political clarity clear vision
- Passion for social justice work and belief in community organizing
- Commitment to 215 PA’s vision of uniting labor and community for working class power
- Ability to talk to people from different backgrounds and think strategically about how to bring people in to build the work
- Patience with people, ability to problem solve and love for working with teams of staff and volunteers
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Strong time management skills
- Experience with database management and online tools
- Public speaking
- Self-directed with a strong ability to take initiative on new projects and relationship building
Compensation: Salary based on experience, ranging between $50,000 – $60,000. Health coverage paid 90% by employer.
To apply: Send cover letter, resume and three references through the webform here (http://bit.ly/215pajobcall). Applications reviewed on a rolling basis.